Kate Weekes – ‘Time by the Moon’
Kate Weekes is not the sort of person who stays in one place for very long. She’s been a dog musher-for-hire in Norway, she’s toured China with a swing band, and she’s canoed the far-north as a wilderness guide.
So the early COVID-19 lockdowns arguably cramped her style more than most.
But like most artists who found themselves suddenly off the road, the former Yukoner who’s now based in the Gatineau area of Quebec adapted. In Kate’s case, she started exploring inner landscapes instead of outer ones.
Her new album, the optimistically-titled Better Days Ahead, is a collection of songs derived from this process, which that features Kate on clawhammer banjo, an instrument she just picked up after the pandemic hit.
It comes out on Feb. 3 and will be supported with a cross-Canada tour (see dates below).
We’re thrilled to premiere a song here today on Roots Music Canada.
“‘Time by the Moon’ was written during a month-long banjo tune writing workshop hosted by Chris Coole,” Kate explained. “Every three days we were challenged to write a new tune with a particular approach or focus. We were able to share our creations virtually with the group, and it was inspiring to hear what folks came up with and get cheered on.”
Have a listen!
See Kate Weekes Live!
- Feb. 8 – Harbour City Concerts, Nanaimo, B.C.
- Feb. 9 – Songbird North at The Roundhouse, Vancouver, B.C.
- Feb. 10 – Char’s Landing, Port Alberni, B.C.
- Feb. 11 – House Concert, Courtney, B.C.
- Feb. 17 – Village Emporium, Brentwood Bay, B.C.
- Feb. 18 – Bird Song House Concert, Gabriola Island, B.C.
- Feb. 19 – House Concert, North Vancouver, B.C.
- March 2 – Red Bird Live, Ottawa, ON
- March 3 – Hotel Wolfe Island, Wolfe Island, ON
- March 4 – House Concert, Toronto, ON
- March 5 – House Concert, Kingston, ON
- March 12 – Maberly Hall, Maberly, ON (Double Release with Christine Graves)
- March 24 – Ursa, Montreal (Opening Act Allysann Foehring)