Here are the Canadian roots/world nominees for the Independent Music Awards
Photo by Rick Magnell.
Nominees for the 17th Independent Music Awards were announced this week, and Canadian roots and world artists are well-represented among them.
The Indies are an international competition with more than 100 categories and entries from nearly 100 countries. This year’s judges include Robert Smith from the Cure, Gloria Gaynor, and Tom Waits.
The awards will be handed out in New York June 21 and 22. There will be two winners in each category, one determined by the judges, and the other determined by votes from fans.
The moose and I have combed through the list of nominees, and here are all of the Canadians we could spot in the roots and world categories.
- Americana: Pharis and Jason Romero – Sweet Old Religion
- Eclectic: Orchid Ensemble – From a Dream
- Folk/Singer-Songwriter: Big Little Lions – Alive and Well
- Folk/Singer-Songwriter: Pharis and Jason Romero – Sweet Old Religion
- Jazz Instrumental: Jeremy Ledbetter Trio (Jeremy is from the Caribbean Latin jazz band Canefire) – Got a Light?
- World Traditional: Bellegarde – Anba Tonèl
- Children’s Music: The Swinging Belles -The Superstar Sibling Detective Agency
- Eclectic: Orchid Ensemble – “Fire”
- Dance/Electronica: Sina Bathaie – “Summerdaze”
- Holiday: Heather Rankin – “Wrap It Up”
- Jazz Instrumental: Jeremy Ledbetter Trio – “Got a Light?”
- Social Action: Rosie & the Riveters – “I Believe You”
- Spoken Word: Diemm – “Mythmaker”
- World Traditional: Toronto Tabla Ensemble – “Faceoff”
- Jazz: OKAN – Laberinto
- World: OKAN – Laberinto
Music producer categories
- World: Shy-Anne Hovorka, Julia Mazzaferro – Graeme Drum – Eclectic
Album design categories
- Album Packaging: Dave McEathron, Laura Brittain, Bill Cassidy – Dave McEathron – Abandoned Companions and The Abandoned Companions Companion Piece
Short form video categories
- Performance: Bon Débarras – “En panne de silence”
- Performance: Toronto Tabla Ensemble – “Faceoff”
- Social Action: Willie Nile – “Earth Blues”
- Concept/Experimental: Mélisande [électrotrad] – “Sur la rintintin”