This summer’s cross-Canada festival road trip in links!
Folks, it’s been one heck of a summer here at Roots Music Canada, and I am one exhausted moose! Two months after we signed ourselves back on-line, I had this crazy idea: What if we could find writers all across the country to go to folk, roots and world music festivals for us and write about them?! And lo and behold, we found around 16 of ’em! Together they hit 20 festivals in a little over six weeks and filed more than 50 stories!
Folks, please give a warm round of applause to Brooklyn Connolly, Troy Greencorn, Elizabeth Szekeres, Paul Corby, Richard Flohil, Alison Corbett, Rachel Barreca, Veronica Kovaks, Christophe Elie, Zoë Buscho, Broose Tulloch, Josh Forbes, Meaghan Brackenbury, Tom Coxworth, Annette Donaghy, and Deborah Holland.
For your long-weekend reading pleasure, I have collected all their coverage here in one place.
I plan to spend my whole long weekend re-reading all these. I am one proud moose to be working with such a great team.
- The Lunenburg Folk Harbour Festival recapped by the guy that books Stanfest!
- The Stan Rogers Folk Festival: is there magic in the Canso fog?
- The Stan Rogers Folk Festival: an Atlantic icon for every generation
- The Ennis Sisters – Keeping Time (see them at the NL folk fest!)
- The Sutton Fiddle Festival will transport you to another time and place
- The Sutton Fiddle Festival – A photo album
- The Sutton Fiddle Festival: a recap by Elizabeth Szekeres
- Festival Mémoire et Racines: a photo essay (Part 2)
- Festival Mémoire et Racines: a photo essay (Part 1)
- Dispatches from Festival Mémoire et Racines – Day 3 (Sunday)
- Dispatches from Festival Mémoire et Racines – Day 2 (Saturday)
- Festival Mémoire et Racines: Day 1 (Friday)
- The Small World Music Festival – Day 1 (Friday)
- The Small World Music Festival – Day 2 and 3
- You need to discover Balfolk … and there’s a festival for that!
- Mariposa Folk Festival – July 6-9 in Orillia Ont.: The Flohil report
- Bonnie Dobson finally gets her due for “Morning Dew”
- Dispatches from Summerfolk – Day 2 (Saturday)
- Dispatches from Summerfolk – Day 1 (Friday)
- Summer’s for the folk: 5 + 1 places you’ll find me at Summerfolk this weekend
- The northwestern Ontario festivals: a photo album
- Old Man Luedecke is bringing a new live album to the Moose n’ Fiddle Festival
- Dispatches from the Trout Forest Music Festival (Sunday)
- Dispatches from the Trout Forest Music Festival (Saturday)
- Dispatches from the Live from the Rock Folk Festival (Friday)
- Ian Tamblyn’s (sort of) #MeToo moment
- Trout Forest Music Festival: Crystal Shawanda turns blues
The Spencer Lee Band at Bluesfest. Photo by Mark Horton.
- Dispatches from the Winnipeg Folk Festival – Day One
- Dispatches from the Winnipeg Folk Festival – Day 2 (Friday)
- Dispatches from the Winnipeg Folk Festival – Day 3 (Saturday)
- Roger Roger first went to the Winnipeg Folk Fest in the womb. This weekend they played main stage
- Winnipeg Folk Fest achieves gender-parity without fanfare … because it’s 2018
- Barney Bentall feat. Dustin Bentall – July 7 at the Winnipeg Folk Festival
- Fortunate Ones are a treat for fortunate festival-goers
- ‘Weathering’ the Edmonton folk fest
- How the Edmonton Folk Fest feeds 3,000 and other tales of hospitality
- The Canmore Folk Music Festival – Tom Coxworth’s recap
- Sunday at the Calgary Folk Music Festival (child in tow!)
- Saturday at the Calgary Folk Music Festival
- 6 things Josh Forbes learned volunteering at the Calgary Folk Music Festival
- Quantum Tangle: from Yellowknife to the Junos to the Calgary Folk Fest
- Cara Luft comes home to the Calgary Folk Fest with the Small Glories
- Dispatches from the Vancouver Folk Music Festival – Day 3 (Sunday)
- Dispatches from the Vancouver Folk Music Festival – Day 2 (Saturday)
- Dispatches from the Vancouver Folk Music Festival – Day 1 (Friday)
- Dispatches from … home … before leaving for the Vancouver Folk Music Festival
- Discover this Italian alt-folk duo at the Vancouver Folk Music Festival
- T-minus 3 days to Vancouver Folk Music Festival lift-off
- Vancouver Island MusicFest: hot music … and just plain hot!