Highlights March 6-13
On Roots Music Canada this week:
- After a poor performance from Lucinda Williams at Massey Hall, Editor in Chief David Newland hoped singer-songwriters would ‘splain a few things about about the worth of a good stage show.
- As the seasons slowly change, our Eric Thom found some bright spots in Grainne Ryan’s latest album, Looking for Sunshine.
- On International Women’s Day, our Meghan Sheffield looked to Suze Rotolo, the famous face from the cover of Bob Dylan’s Freewheelin‘ album, and discovered Rotolo was more than just a muse.
- Toronto singer-songwriter Shawn Clarke visited the Woodshed for a chat with David Newland, and to perform a few songs, including his rare ode to Toronto.
- Canadian Music Week was taking place in Toronto from March 9-13, and our David Newland attended a Songwriters Circle featuring Randy Bachman, Emmylou Harris, Paul Williams, Gordie Sampson and Bob Dipiero (pictured above). Find out what some of the greats had to say about songwriting.
- New York City native Lucy Kaplansky played an intimate and emotional show at Hugh’s Room, and our Eric Thom was there.
- Jack Hardy, the much beloved folk singer and longtime steward of the Greenwich Village folk scene, passed away on Friday, March 11. We’re grateful to singer-songwriter Jonathan Byrd, who shared with us his memories of this influential champion of song.